Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My new friend

I got the monthly update from Dana, the shelter director for Save-A-Pet yesterday. In it she begs for foster homes due to the economy there are more people than ever giving up their family pets and the kill shelters are full. Save-A-Pet is a no-kill shelter so they are constantly getting requests to take in more animals. We are also full, but do whatever we can to take in more animals and find ways to squeeze them in. One of the animals that she wrote about is an eight month old white boxer with a broken leg. My husband and I had a boxer that we rescued, but he took him when he left. I immediately felt this was meant to be. Chris and I had always wanted a white boxer, but with three dogs and a cat in a townhouse it would have been a tight fit, so we decided to wait until we had a house. Obviously that will never happen and I've been missing Diesel so much. Last night I went and picked him up and brought him home. He is so sweet. They have named him Sprite. I'm not sure if that fits him yet, but for now it's ok.

I would love to keep him, but financially, I don't think that's possible. We'll see. He'll probably be with me awhile until he has surgery and is healed, so that gives me some time to decide. He's just such a lover. He loves everyone. I tried putting him in the kennel for bed, but that only lasted about 10 minutes. I ended up having him sleep in the bed with me and it went really well. He slept all the way through until about 5am. I feel bad for my neighbors because I did kennel him today while I work and you could hear him howling outside. Hopefully he calms down and gets some sleep.

Sometimes it's amazing to think things do happen for a reason. My house felt so empty without Diesel and Chris. Sprite has been able to fill a little of that void and bring me some happiness that is much needed. It's amazing how dogs can bond so quickly and love so unconditionally. I could be 500 pounds and my dogs and cat for that matter would still love me. I don't have to be anyone other than myself when I am around them. I give them love and they give it back. There's no need for them to seek out another, I will always be #1.

No comments: